menu • links • IRS collection • sales tax • payroll tax • franchising • tax topics • legal topics • legal news • corporation/LLCs • sitemap

Obtaining Prior Years Tax Information from the IRS new 1/27/12

Copies of an old tax return and tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts fcan be obtained on the web, by phone or by mail.

Return and account transcripts

The IRS does not charge a fee for transcripts.

  1. You can order the current tax year and past 3 tax years transcripts online or by phone.
  2. You must request transcripts for older tax years using Form 4506T-EZ.
  3. A tax return transcript shows most return line items as the return was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules.
  4. A tax return transcript does not reflect any changes made after the return was filed.
  5. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made, and basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.
  6. To request a transcript:

    You can also request a wage an income transcript that shows W-2 and 1099 income. That transcript normally does not show state income tax withholding (to perpare your state income tax return).

    Transcripts will be mailed to your current address of record. To have your transcript mailed to a different address, complete and mail Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

Transcripts ordered:

Copies of an actual return

Complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return and mail to the IRS address listed on the form for your area to obtain an actual copy of a previously processed tax return. Copies cost $57 for each tax year/return. Copies of actual returns are generally available for the current year as well as the past six years, and should take 60 calendar days.

You can download download Forms 4506, 4506T and 4506T-EZ from, or call the IRS forms and publications order line at 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).


YouTube Videos: