Obtaining Prior Years Tax Information from the IRS 1/27/12
Copies of an old tax return and tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts fcan be obtained on the web, by phone or by mail.
Return and account transcripts
The IRS does not charge a fee for transcripts.
- You can order the current tax year and past 3 tax years transcripts online or by phone.
- You must request transcripts for older tax years using Form 4506T-EZ.
- A tax return transcript shows most return line items as the return was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules.
- A tax return transcript does not reflect any changes made after the return was filed.
- A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made, and basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.
- To request a transcript:
- use the online tool called Order a Transcript at www.irs.gov
- call 800-908-9946 to order by phone (follow the prompts in the recorded message)
- complete and mail IRS Form 4506T-EZ to request a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ tax return transcrip
- use the Form 4506T to request transcripts for Businesses, partnerships and other forms
You can also request a wage an income transcript that shows W-2 and 1099 income. That transcript normally does not show state income tax withholding (to perpare your state income tax return).
Transcripts will be mailed to your current address of record. To have your transcript mailed to a different address, complete and mail Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.
- online or by phone should take 5 to 10 calendar days.
- by mail should take 30 calendar days.
Copies of an actual return
Complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return and mail to the IRS address listed on the form for your area to obtain an actual copy of a previously processed tax return. Copies cost $57 for each tax year/return. Copies of actual returns are generally available for the current year as well as the past six years, and should take 60 calendar days.
You can download download Forms 4506, 4506T and 4506T-EZ from www.irs.gov, or call the IRS forms and publications order line at 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
- Order a Transcript online tool
- Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript
- Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return
- Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Form