Links to forms are at the bottom of the page.

You must be “current”

Before the IRS will work with you on your tax liability you must be “current”, which means you must:

  1. file all returns due, even if you can not pay the tax;
  2. make current estimated income tax payments if required (e.g., if you will owe more than $1,000 on your income tax return when filed);
  3. make current employment tax deposits.

You must furnish financial information to the IRS before it will work with you on your delinquent tax liability. The information is a “road map” for the IRS to collect from you (garnish wages, levy bank accounts, and file tax liens), but the IRS must know what you can do towards paying your taxes for it to agree to an appropriate arrangement.

The initial version(s) you prepare of this form(s) is/are to discuss your tax situation with me and will NOT be furnished to the IRS yet. If in doubt, put the information on this form or an attachment. I cannot use information to your best advantage if I do not know about it. A final form(s) will be prepared to provide to the IRS.

Prepare the financial forms carefully

Double check to be sure ALL assets, liabilities, income and expenses are listed and accurate. Complete all items. If an item does not apply put “N/A” (“not applicable”) to confirm you have not simply skipped the question. Attach additional pages as needed to list additional items or explain any unusual items or circumstances.


Attach all items specified on the form as required Attachment checklist

You must fully disclose income and assets

You must fully disclose your financial condition in working with the IRS or adverse consequences may result (e.g., the IRS can cancel an accepted offer in compromise and reinstate the tax debt forgiven if full disclosure is not made). The IRS will also be difficult to work with if they find omitted items or that the form is carelessly prepared and do not belief you are being forthcoming in trying to settle your liability.

Income in this context means all amounts (e.g., cash coming thorugh your hands, taxable or not, gifts, etc.) available each month for you to live on.


Your financial information provided must separated into “personal” (form 433-A or 433-F) and “business” (433-B).

  • Form 433-A (IRS form in Adobe “pdf” format), financial information statement for wage earners and self-employed
  • Form 433-F, shorter form of financial information statement sometimes requested by the IRS (IRS form in Adobe “pdf” format)
  • From 433-B (IRS form in Adobe “pdf” format), financial information statement for business
  • Form 656 Offer in Compromise (IRS form in Adobe “pdf” format)
  • Form 2848 Power of Attorney (IRS form in Adobe “pdf” format)
  • From 433-B (IRS form in Adobe “pdf” format), financial information statement for business