The IRS has more than 400 offices nationwide where taxpayers can walk in and get face-to-face assistance. These IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers are your source for personal tax help when you believe your tax issue cannot be handled online or by phone. TAC locations, business hours and an overview of services are available at, or just go to the “Individuals” tab and click on the link for “Contact My Local Office” in the left tool bar section under IRS Resources.

Here are 8 reasons to stop in and get help at an IRS TAC:

  1. Notices or letters: Have you received a letter or notice and need face-to-face assistance to understand the next step? No appointment is necessary — just walk in.
  2. Tax Forms Most IRS forms and many publications are available at your local TAC.
  3. Multilingual Assistance Don’t let a language barrier prevent you from getting necessary tax assistance. Multilingual services are offered to taxpayers in over 150 languages at IRS TACs. These services are provided through bilingual employees and an Over-the-Phone Interpreter.
  4. Free Federal Tax Return Preparation Your local TAC will prepare basic tax returns for those who qualify for EITC or those whose income is less than $49,000.
  5. Payments You can make payments at an IRS TAC. Be sure you know the tax period and type of tax the payment covers. If you received an IRS notice, be sure to bring it.
  6. Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return Your local TAC can help you prepare Form 2290, accept your payment, and provide needed receipts. However, taxpayers can now e-file and e-pay their Forms 2290, adding another item to the long list of things they can resolve without face-to-face assistance. Publication 4900, e-file and e-pay your Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax fast, accurate, safe, is available for more information.
  7. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number If you are not eligible for a Social Security Number but need to file a tax return, an IRS TAC can help. Bring your completed tax return, Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number and certified identification documents to the TAC to apply for your ITIN and file your return. For more information, see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.
  8. Tax Return and Tax Account Transcripts If you need a copy of your tax return for financial aid or to obtain a mortgage, a tax return or tax account transcript will generally meet lending institution requirements. Federal tax return transcripts are free and are generally available for the current and past three years.